Sunday, July 4, 2010

RAJA RAJA THAAN

Woke up this morning with a not-so-gud mood. But plenty of work to do. So, tuned in to radio. A couple of my god IR's songs and after that an ARR's. Nanna re nanna re number from Guru where Hubby dear's fav plastic figure drenches in the rain and 'dances' with her typical plastic smile, pallu swaying in the wind and showing facial wrinkles (no, they are character lines, says hubby!). It then struck me its just a 3-yr old song but still I can't remember any of those lines. Compare this with IR's rain songs.

Numbers like Megham Kottatum (Enakul Oruvan), Oho megam Vandhadho (Mouna raagam), Anthi mazhai megam (Nayagan), Vaan megam (Punnagai mannan) and not to forget the ever-green Aathadi Ammadi (Idhayathai Thirudaathey). I still get under the shower and shake my leg while hearing it; leave alone the lines i still remember those heavenly interludes of IR in all these songs. I think IR transcends time; his tunes grow on you while ARR is only seasonal.

Being a die-hard IR fan that I am, earlier I used to quip my friends telling that "ARR songs are like the guys u see on road/mall/beach - stay in ur mind for a short time whereas RAJA songs are like ur 'murai paiyyans', ennaikume saaswadham!"

1 comment:

  1. Why do you forget "Mazhai varuthu mazhai varuth"? "En kutrama un kutrama?"

    ReplyDelete